Welcome to 2012, a world where video games are becoming more of a mainstream topic than ever. Video games, the complex time killers once seen as a fad are now, according to this slideshow, bigger than the movie industry. That's something to think about: people who have seen movies compared to people who have bought, or at the very least played, a video game. When it's presented like that, it's easy to realize that video games are becoming this generation's book, its movie, its medium of artistic expression and communication.
However, as great as the birth of this new art medium is, the video game industry is following what I believe to be a destructive pattern. Development costs are reaching ridiculous figures, and as the numbers rise, the industry seems to be struggling. Studio closures and layoffs are becoming a part of industry's nature, but why? To me, the answer to that question lies within the poor practice of increased costs that these development studios are involved in.
This blog intends to provide its readers with the most accurate information possible regarding the video game industry and the spending habits of various developers, with the addition of my own opinions, influenced by the years of video games I've played and the developments I've noticed in the industry over the years. I'll be making posts on the blog every Thursday (Friday if my schedule won't allow a Thursday post), United States CST.
As a side note, one of the aforementioned opinions I hold is that there is nothing more important to the video game industry than the consumers, and on this blog, the title of "consumer" has simply been changed to "reader". I value the comments and opinions of my readers, so please feel free to leave a comment; it could even become a topic of a future post!
No comments:
Post a Comment